As Kristi House continues to grow, so too does the need for dedicated volunteers. Children visiting the Center range in age from 3-18 years old. Volunteers play a vital role in creating a safe environment for children to receive services. Kristi House Volunteers:
- Range in age from 18-80 years old
- Use their creativity and talents when working with children, staff, other volunteers and members of the community
- Gain community service hours
- Serve in mentoring roles
- Generously give their time and attention to children in need
- Are carefully screened for those positions working with children
Waiting Room Volunteers – “Ambassadors”
Volunteers play an important role in putting children at ease and encouraging them to return to the Center for therapy and other appointments. Children arriving often must wait while their parents or family members are attending appointments. While waiting, children are greeted by volunteers who provide structured activities to engage them and lessen their anxiety while in the playroom/waiting area. Waiting Room Volunteers have access to a wide variety of educational and recreational resources when serving as ambassadors in the play/waiting area. The developmentally appropriate resources include both purchased and donated items:
- Child-sized furniture
- Extensive children’s library
- Books on tape
- Play area and kitchen
- Computer center
- Stuffed animals
- Educational videos
- Board games
- Coloring books
- Lego tables and supplies
- Art and crafts
Volunteer hours are flexible. Hours of operation requiring volunteer services as a Waiting Room Ambassador are usually 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. All Kristi House volunteers are required to perform 20-hours of volunteer service as a Waiting Room Ambassador.
No prior experience working with children is necessary. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old. An interview, completed application, police clearance letter, background check, fingerprinting, orientation and 20-hour commitment are required for consideration.
To get started, please complete this Volunteer Application Form.
Volunteer Orientation: This is a required orientation only for volunteers who have completed their volunteer application form and the necessary paperwork and background checks. Please contact us for more information on getting started and attending a volunteer orientation.
For additional information about volunteering, please contact our Volunteer Manager, Damena Gallimore-Wilson at 305-547-6845 or DGallimore@kristihouse.org.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
For those who like to get out into the community, engaging in community outreach is ideal and an excellent forum for Kristi House’s message to be spread. We provide you with the tools, statistics, and background you need for your own personal knowledge and to spread the word. Outreach opportunities are available for those who have met their 20-hour Waiting Room Ambassador volunteer requirement.
Volunteers help with a variety of different duties before and during special annual events, such as preparing the materials, picking up donations and making deliveries, organizing the day of the event, registration of guests, preparing displays, welcoming guests, etc. The Kristi House Touch a Heart Dinner and Auction, Kristi House’s signature fundraising event, is a popular volunteer assignment for those who want to participate in a high-end event catering to discerning and committed donors.
Other Ideas for Companies and Organizations
- General – the following items are in high demand. Please download general donation flyer here.
- Gift Cards – preferably in the amount of $10 to Target, Walmart for the children (especially adolescents) to obtain exactly what they need
- Non-Perishable Food Items – our supply closet for hungry clients is running very low. We are in need of non-canned items such as cereal, mac & cheese, rice, pasta, microwaveable meals, granola bars, etc
- Diapers – these are often costly and difficult for mothers to obtain as they are not covered by food stamps or WIC programs
- Events Based
- Holiday – toys for the holidays for kids and adolescents. For more info, see here.
- Back-to-School – school supplies and backpacks. For more info, see here.
- Other – any type of giveaway or decoration for Valentine’s Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, etc.
- Waiting Room – we always are in need of toys, coloring books, children’s DVDs and books
Events – If your group would like to take the lead on planning an executing an event for the children & families of Kristi House – that would be awesome. We typically are thinking events like Back to School, Halloween, Holiday, Spring…etc. We would need help securing donations, planning activities and timeline, creating flyers, staffing the party, etc.
Upkeep – We often need help with routine cleaning of the Center, carpet cleaning, toy organization, landscaping, shredding, and more.